How you begin your day can say a lot about the rest of your day.
Do you drag yourself out of bed thinking you need caffeine to get you going? Or, do you jump out of bed looking for a cool clean hydrating drink to support your day?
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my morning cup of coffee, I just don’t NEED it. What I need is to replenish the fluids my body processed during the night and provide it with whole clean nutrients that can quickly be digested.
Here’s the recipe for my basic morning drink and a few of my special concoctions.
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1/2 small cucumber
- thumb-sized chunk of ginger
- large handful of greens – parsley, cilantro or mint
- dollop of RAW honey – how much depends on your taste and the other goodies you add
- 2 cups of water – cold or room temperature
Throw your fresh goodies into a high-speed blender and whiz for at least 30 seconds, or until very well blended. Pour and enjoy!
Here are some of my favorite add ins. These mixtures were created purely by experimentation. Got a pear that’s REALLY soft and needs to be used up? How about that mango that’s perfuming your kitchen and atracting fruit flies? One week it was the bunch of apricots that we couldn’t eat fast enough. Bottom line, be creative!
To the basic recipe above add:
- 1/2 a ripe pear and a small handful of raw almonds
- nice chunk of pineapple and 1/4 cup of fresh coconut
- 1/2 of a really ripe mango
- use three ripe dates instead of honey – whiz the dates and water before adding the other ingredients
- 1/2 an apple, cored
I loved it. I will be buying the ingredients straight after work 🙂