This easy to make soup has become a family favorite that even the grandkids love. Vegan, Serves 4, and takes about 45 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large or 2 medium heads of cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 6 cups of water – may use more for thinner soup
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- Heat oil in large heavy pot. When the oil shimmers, add onion and garlic. Add salt and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and cauliflower and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add curry powder, thyme, basil and marjoram. Stir until herbs are well distributed and the curry powder begins to perfume the air.
- Add water. Bring the pot to a boil and then turn to a simmer. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add miso and blend until creamy using immersion blender.
- May be served warm with croutons and/or grated Parmesan cheese. OR served as a cold soup, though best if brought to room temperature.