Our list of events for this holiday season got to be so complicated this year that I decided to pull out an old-fashioned paper calendar and write them all down. Wow, are we busy between now and New Years!
At times this can feel a bit overwhelming, so I’ve written in a few to do’s just for me. I’ve made time to get a pedicure, watch the Christmas movie I recorded, get a massage… and, I wrote them on the calendar!
Put yourself on your to do list! Make time for you! Write it on the calendar. Let everyone know you’ll be “off-line” for a little while, so that when you return there will be more of you to share.
“Me Time” doesn’t have to be costly, nor does it mean you have to take half a day off. It just means that you unplug from the world and turn down the volume on the voices in your mind. Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices started.
- Make a cup of your favorite tea, turn on your favorite holiday music and bask in your favorite holiday memories.
- Find a quiet space to meditate. Relax your body, release your mind.
- Go for a walk, alone or with someone you love. Spend your time enjoying nature; the trees, the clouds blowing across the blue sky, the crunch of the snow… Every so often stop and just take in a deep breath. Feel the air in your lungs and relax.
- Read for a few minutes each day. Pick up something warm and inspiring, like Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet In Heaven, Tuesdays with Morrie, or Have a Little Faith.
- Soak your feet in hot water and Epsom salts. Sit back and relax. Have a fuzzy pair of socks ready when you’re done.